michele1218 on YouTube recently made a video comparing the J. Crew Minnies to the Old Navy Pixies. I don’t usually read the titles of videos in my subscription list before clicking on them, so when I saw the thumbnail pic for her video I thought she was going to be talking about the GAP Slim Cropped Pants that I bought a little over a year ago and love. They look very similar.
Michele compared the $90 J. Crew Minnies to the much cheaper Old Navy Pixies and actually said she preferred the latter. It’s been a long, long time since I’ve shopped at Old Navy but I knew I had to check these pants out since I’m a big fan of the GAP Slim Cropped Pants. And since GAP & Old Navy are sister companies, most of the time Old Navy carries very similar styles of clothing but at a slightly lower price point. If I could get practically the same pants for less, especially ones that I know I’ll wear all the time, why not?
The Old Navy pants are extremely similar to the GAP pants but there are small differences.
- The length, pocket and belt loop placement, and fit are nearly identical but the Pixies have a more relaxed fit. The GAP pants are the tiniest bit more fitted through the hip and thigh area.
- Both pants are 95% Cotton, 5% Spandex but the fabric for the GAP pants is slightly thicker and heavier compared to the thinner, more lightweight Old Navy pants. I weighed both pants on a scale and the GAP pants weigh 12.3 oz while the Old Navy Pixies are 10.6 oz.
- The Old Navy Pixies aren’t quite as black as the GAP Slim Cropped Pants.
- The GAP pants have button detailing on the back pockets.
- Both pants have a double hook and bar closure on the front but the GAP pants have an extended tab.
- The GAP Slim Cropped Pants are $54.95. The Old Navy Pixie Skinny Ankle Pants are $34.94.
Both GAP and Old Navy run sales all the time. When I purchased the Gap Skinnies I took advantage of a 60% off sale and when I purchased the Old Navy Pixies I was able to stack a one-time use coupon code on top of a 30% sale. Ideally, you shouldn’t have to pay full price.
I personally prefer the Gap pants (the quality and heft of the material is nicer in my opinion) but if you like the slim cropped pants style but want a more affordable option, definitely check out the Old Navy Pixie pants. The quality’s great for the price and they come in a bunch of other colors. I plan on getting a few more pairs in different colors myself the next time there’s a big sale.
In order to qualify for free shipping, I decided to browse the Old Navy site some more and came across the Cropped Skinny Boyfriend Jeans. I chose a pair in the Next Day color in my usual Old Navy/GAP size but unfortunately these particular pants run large. I’m a size 6 in most GAP and Old Navy jeans and pants but the size 6 Cropped Skinny Boyfriend Jeans were extremely baggy in the butt and thighs and were practically falling off my hips. I had to exchange the jeans in-store for a size 4 which turned out to be a perfect fit, so definitely go a size down with these.